[Mondrian] License upgrade from CPL to EPL

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri May 15 20:54:51 EDT 2009

In the next few days, I am going to change Mondrian's license from CPL to
EPL. This is a move that is good for everyone, and now release 3.1 is out it
seems to be a good time.

Mondrian is distributed under the Common Public License (CPL). It's fairly
good license, but there is a clause regarding what happens in the event of
patent litigation, and this this flaw made some organizations nervous about
adopting CPL code.

The Eclipse Public License (EPL) is based on CPL, and in fact differs only
in the name of the sponsoring organization (Eclipse versus IBM) and the
removal of that clause. Everyone agrees that EPL is a better license, but we
were too lazy to go through the license change process. A few weeks ago, EPL
was officially made the successor to CPL, and that makes it trivial to
upgrade.

This blog post by Mike Milinkovich (who heads Eclipse) describes the
situation:

http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/mike/2009/04/16/one-small-step-towards-reducing
-license-proliferation/

By the way, olap4j was also under CPL, and we made the same license change a
couple of weeks ago.

I will update the perforce repository in the next few days, and the next
Mondrian release will be under EPL.

Julian

PS I also announced this change as a forum post. To keep the discussion
single-threaded, if you have any comments, please reply to the forum:
http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=214099