[Mondrian] RE: Change 12424

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Wed Mar 18 15:15:18 EDT 2009

Option #1 is the only feasible one, because in MySQL we need to wrap the
expression:

e DESC --> ISNULL(e), e DESC

But I'm pretty sure that Oracle puts nulls last by default. So, the query
should be producing the correct result as it stands.

On another note, I'm not sure that testNullCollation was ever testing what
it was intended to.  It appears to be testing the the ordering of members
with NULL ordinals correctly puts them at the end.  The [HQ] member in the
test is set to have a null ordinal.  The query used in the test, however,
uses a topcount function, and HQ does not fall into the topcount set.  So
this would never actually validate that HQ was placed at the end.

I may be wrong, but my impression is that testNullCollation is testing the
ordering of null cells, not null members. The topCount generates select ...
group by sum(...) order by sum(...) to retrieve the cells in sorted order,
and we want cells whose values are nulls to appear last.