[Mondrian] RE: Degenerate dimensions

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Sat Mar 14 22:40:39 EDT 2009

My physical schema change could/should handle this. I guess I should write
up a description of what new-style mondrian schemas will look like. But note
that in SSAS 2005 there is a matrix of measure groups vs. dimensions, and
for each dimension there are several ways to join the dimension to the
measure group's fact table, including regular (foreign key from fact table
to dimension table), via intersection table, and the dimension table is
identical to the fact table. Linkages in the new mondrian schema will be
modeled similarly.

Physical schema change is long overdue, and is next on my backlog after 3.1
is out, so I won't consider doing it any other way.

Julian

  _____