[Mondrian] Scoped solve order / Aggregate

Matt Campbell mkambol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:55:45 EDT 2009

Julian,
It looks like there was just one issue with your refactor-- the logic for
determining max solve order when the aggregate function is involved got
flipped in two places.  In RolapEvaluator.getScopedMaxSolveOrder() you
modified the check for the aggregate function in QUERY_SCOPE and CUBE_SCOPE
to look at the member with the current max solve order, rather than the
current member:
Version 87--
            case CUBE_SCOPE:
                if (foundAggregateFunction(member.getExpression())) {
                    continue;
                }

Version 88--
            case CUBE_SCOPE:
                if (maxSolveMember.containsAggregateFunction()) {
                    continue;
                }

This change makes members containing the Aggregate function have the highest
solve order, which is the opposite of what we want. SSAS 2005 and above
automatically sets any member with Aggregate to have the lower solve order
than any intersecting member. (see the first note in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms145539.aspx).  Keeping the solve
order of aggregate lower ensures that aggregation will happen over
components of a calculation, rather than attempting to aggregate the
calculation itself.

The fix should be as simple as swapping maxSolveMember with member in the
conditional above.  Any objections to me making the change?  I'll also add
some tests for scoped solve order--it looks like there are none right now.