[Mondrian] RE: Same hierarchy on different axis

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Mon Jul 20 22:21:37 EDT 2009

Sorry folks, ain't gonna happen.

First off, Microsoft doesn't allow it in their MDX dialect. There's usually
a good reason for their language choices, such as...

Second, it doesn't make sense. If it's '1997.Q1' on the columns axis, and
'1997.Q2.4' on the rows axis, what value should the cell show? What context
should be provided when evaluating calculated members in that cell. Not well
defined.

Third, there's a workaround. Define and use attribute hierarchies. In the
above example, you probably wanted quarters on columns, and months on rows.
Do that by defining attribute hierarchies Time.Quarter and Time.Month in
addition to Time.Yearly and Time.Weekly.

Julian

  _____