[Mondrian] RE: Same hierarchy on different axis

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Jul 17 14:37:30 EDT 2009

I don't think it makes sense to allow the same hierarchy on two different
axes. What does make sense is what AS2005 does. They have 'attribute
hierarchies' which look a lot like levels except they can be used
independently. But you still have old-fashioned hierarchies with multiple
levels. And typically, an attribute that is used as a level would also have
its own attribute hierarchy.

E.g. the customer dimension might have a customer hierarchy, a state
attribute hierarchy, a city attribute hierarchy, and a gender attribute
hierarchy. You can have customer hierarchy on one axis, and state on
another. But you can't have the customer hierarchy on two different axes.

Hope that makes sense. If anyone has a good reference to attribute
hierarchies, please share it. 'MDX Solutions', by Spofford et al., explains
it well, but I can't hyperlink a book sitting on my desk. :)

Julian

PS Sorry to hear about your motherboard.

  _____