[Mondrian] Same dimension in different axis

Pedro Alves pedro at neraka.no-ip.org
Thu Jul 16 06:06:05 EDT 2009

Hey there.

Is there a way to remove the restriction of not having the same dimension
in more than one axis?

I'm working on a dashboard generator that dynamically integrates with
mondrian, but this is a very bad restriction if I want users to apply
whatever filters they want. The following query is an example of the type
of stuff I'd love to be able to do:

select
  Descendants([Products], [Products].[Version]) on rows,
  Measures.[Downloads] on columns
>From ...
where
  ([Dates].[Date].[2009-07-16],
   [Products].[Firefox].[3.5],
   [Download Types].[Complete])

Instead, I need to do

select
  Descendants([Products].[Firefox].[3.5], [Products].[Version]) on rows,
  Measures.[Downloads] on columns
>From ...
where
  ([Dates].[Date].[2009-07-16],
   [Download Types].[Complete])

In terms of plain queries this is not complicated; But in a scenario where
the users is free to choose whatever dimensions he wants to chart against
whatever conditions he wants to filter, my algorithm to generate the query
gets much more complicated than I'd like

And I don't think there's a reason for this restriction; There were
projects where I've defined in the mondrian schema the same dimension
duplicated just to be able to do what I need. Another example is here:
http://tinyurl.com/kk9b2b . Having to define a [Time2] dimension that's
absolutely identical to [Time] to obtain a very standard crosstab
information.

Any tips appreciated

-pedro