[Mondrian] Cubes based on Joins

Jeffrey Mo jeffrey at sqlpower.ca
Tue Jul 7 11:38:55 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

In the Mondrian on-line documentation for designing a Mondrian schema, there
is a statement that suggests that you can use a Join as a basis for a Cube.

http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/schema.php#Cube
"You can also use the
<View><http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/schema.php#XML_View>and
<Join> <http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/schema.php#XML_Join>constructs
to build more complicated SQL statements."

However, when I try using a Mondrian Schema definition containing a Cube
based on a Join on with Mondrian 3.1.1, I get the following error:

Exception  : Schema file parsing failed.In Schema: In Cube: element <Join>
is not of expected type mondrian.gui.MondrianGuiDef$Relation
org.eigenbase.xom.XOMException: In Schema: In Cube: element <Join> is not of
expected type mondrian.gui.MondrianGuiDef$Relation

A bit of searching in the Pentaho forum turned up this post from May 2006,
indicating that Cubes based on Joins had not been implemented at that time.
http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=47909&highlight=join+fact

Is it still the case that Mondrian 3.1.1 does not yet support Cubes based on
a Join?

Best Regards,
Jeffrey