[Mondrian] Mondrian 3.1 final stretch

Julian Hyde julian at hydromatic.net
Wed Jan 28 19:43:25 EST 2009

We're in the final stretch for mondrian release 3.1.

I said we'd make the release candidate by the end of Jan, and we may go a
few days past that because of work on my plate.

I've got a couple of features to finish: resolving hierarchy names
consistently with SSAS (e.g. allow [Time].[Weekly] instead of
[Time.Weekly]), and allow hierarchies from the same dimension to be on
opposing axes (e.g. allow [Customer].[Gender] on columns,
[Customer].[Marital Status] on rows). I'm adding a property to allow you to
choose between the new behavior and the backwards-compatible behavior. The
problem is that feature #1 causes a few tricky exceptions in the test suite,
and I haven't started feature #2 yet.

There are, as ever, plenty of bugs still open at SF.net but I don't see any
show-stoppers, so they will wait until the next release (don't know whether
it will be 3.2 or 4.0).

High-cardinality dimension support is checked in, and has been in the code
base since ~May 2008. However, it is making things unpredictable and hard to
maintain. High-cardinality dimensions will be in mondrian 3.1 but NOT
SUPPORTED and we may (in fact probably will) remove the support in a future
release.

What other dependencies are there? Are there any developers working on
things that they'd like to be in 3.1?

I know Eric just checked in an upgrade to retroweaver 2, then backed it out.
Any other big changes coming in?