[Mondrian] Integrating data from non-JDBC data sources

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Sun Aug 9 04:13:02 EDT 2009

In the early days we discussed custom member readers, that would allow you
to programmatically create a dimension that is not backed by a JDBC table.
In principle you could also create a custom cell reader, to replace a JDBC
fact table.

The problem is, a lot of the power comes from joining fact tables to
dimension tables. You don't want to access every row in your fact table,
then join to the time dimension, filter out those in year 2008 and aggregate
at the quarter level. You want the database to join, filter and aggregate
simultaneously.

I guess if you could present a fact table and all of its attributes
pre-joined -- so each record in the fact table would have a year and a
quarter -- then this API for non-JDBC fact data would be workable.

I don't want to put you off. I'd like to continue this discussion, since it
would give us the opportunity to use a distributed cache or to delegate work
to one or many slave servers.

Julian