[Mondrian] XMLA response size

Matt Campbell mkambol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:01:27 EDT 2009

Our first pass was pretty simplistic-- we just used a smaller Mondrian
schema then the default and compared numbers for the same queries.  Our next
pass will try to modify XmlaHandler to omit some of the overhead
information.

Our biggest issue has been around the Axis and OlapInfo, not the cellset,
although I'm sure that could be an issue as well if you have large results.

Regarding compression:  Analysis Services 2005+ uses a compressed binary
representation of their XMLA as the default mechanism, but their binary
protocol is proprietary.  Without an open standard we'd have no way to
compress the XMLA in a way that clients could understand.