[Mondrian] Problem moving UDF returning a list from 2.4 to 3.1.1

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Tue Aug 4 01:49:05 EDT 2009

By coincidence, I had remembered that you had received a ClassCastException,
and there was something to do with a calculated set, and I was investigating
as you filed the bug.

Mondrian implements MDX sets as both java.util.List and java.util.Iterable
internally. It is not safe for the author of a UDF to assume that if the
argument is an MDX set then Argument.evaluate will return a List, as you did
in your Reverse UDF. I added new methods Argument.evaluateList and
Argument.evaluateIter. The author of the UDF must call one of these.

See further comments in the bug:
<http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-589>
http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-589

Note that this is fixed on the 3.1 branch.

Julian

  _____