[Mondrian] RE: Same hierarchy on different axis

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Sun Aug 2 17:02:36 EDT 2009

Brian,

Thanks for stepping up. I've checked in the change, as change 12980. You can
either build from source, or pull from Pentaho's nightly build.

I've tested Mondrian pretty thoroughly, so to reiterate, your main task is
to check that JPivot works. Use mondrian.olap.SsasCompatibleNaming=false
(the default value). I'm not so confident that JPivot will work with
mondrian.olap.SsasCompatibleNaming=true, and even though we want that
behavior to be the default in future, we don't need it to work now.

The thing to watch for is the naming of hierarchies. Consider the Weekly
hierarchy in the Time dimension. If SsasCompatibleNaming=false, this will be
named [Time.Weekly], but mondrian will also accept [Time].[Weekly], so that
is what JPivot should generate.

If SsasCompatibleNaming=true, Mondrian will generate [Time].[Weekly] as the
dimension name. And more importantly, you cannot use the dimension name as a
shorthand for the dimension's default hierarchy. Where you had previously
written [Time].CurrentMember, you now need to write
[Time].[Time].CurrentMember. This is a bit of a pain, but you can see why it
is necessary if a dimension contains half a dozen hierarchies, and it is
fully consistent with SSAS2005. I know the transition to
SsasCompatibleNaming=true as default will be a pain. I intend to do that in
4.0.

Once again, thanks for agreeing to do this. This feature will allow us to
create lots of hierarchies in the same dimension, and the
'attribute-oriented hierarchy' style should improve usability significantly.

We don't need this urgently, but if you can do it in the next week, that
would be good.

Olap4j & PAT developers,

This is an important new feature in Mondrian that you should be aware of.

Julian

  _____