[Mondrian] Native Dimension Filter

John V. Sichi jsichi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:01:38 EDT 2009

Rushan wrote:
> Note that the only dimension filter considered at this point is In/Not
> In. There are other candidates such as Matches/Not Matches filter. I
> punted on this one because DBs have different levels of SQL regexp
> support. Some are buggy such as LucidDB.

For MATCHES, another way to do it would be to allow vendors to plug
something in via the dialect, since I doubt very many DBMS products are
ever going to implement the bizarre SQL:2003 mishmash convention of
regular expressions and LIKE patterns ('%' for '.*', '_' for '.').

So, for example, we could require the DBMS to be capable of processing a
regular expression directly (instead of a SQL:2003 pattern).  In the
case of LucidDB, that can be done with a UDF wrapping java.util.regex as
described here:

http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/LucidDbUdfJavaHowto

Other DB's may have native regex-processing capabilities.  A sticking
point might be that there are a number of different conventions for
regex patterns across languages/libraries.

JVS