[Mondrian] Custom MemberReader?

Andreas_Voss at tonbeller.com Andreas_Voss at tonbeller.com
Tue Apr 7 14:56:14 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I need to implement (and hopefully contribute) a custom MemberReader that
generates a time dimension using a calendar. The customer wants to see all
dates even if they do not appear in the database. The generated time
members must behave as if they came from the database, for example, if
such a generated member is in the slicer, its key must be part of the SQL
where-clause when the cells (Segments) are loaded.

So I sat the attribute memberReaderClass of the hierarchy in the schema
and wrote a class that implements MemberSource. But my class was not
instantiated, instead I got a NPE in RolapHierarchy.getUniqueTable() where
the relation member is null. I have not yet found the reason for this.

When browsing through the code I found another weird thing. The class
RolapCubeSqlMemberSource extends SqlMemberSource and is instantiated
directly from (No)CacheRolapCubeHierarchyMemberReader in
RolapCubeHierarchy, without checking if a custom MemberReader exists. This
code seems to be quite new (not in version 2.2.x). I dont think I
understand how/why everything (RolapMember, RolapHierarchy etc) gets
wrapped by a corresponding RolapCubeXyz version.

Also probably the native crossjoin code must be examined, if a custom
member reader is involved then the native code can not be used.

Currently I'm quite lost. Is a custom MemberReader the right way to
implement the requirement? Or is it a  relict from long ago that won't
work any more? Are there other glitches in the code that could prevent it
from function? And I dont understand the RolapCubeXyz wrapping - should
the MemberSource wrap its members or are they wrapped later? Lots of
questions ...

An example of a custom MemberReader would be great ;-)

Thanks for any hints,
Andreas

TONBELLER AG
Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 2
D-64625 Bensheim
Germany
www.tonbeller.com

Register Court: District Court Darmstadt
Registration: HRB 21474
Managing Board: Rutger Hetzler (CEO), Sebastian Hetzler, Torsten Mayer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Rüdiger Brand

proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any unauthorised copying or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited.

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.