[Mondrian] checkJavadoc failure

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Sep 18 21:14:26 EDT 2008

> JVS wrote:
>
> With the latest Mondrian code 1.5, I'm getting the following warnings
> which cause ant checkJavadoc to fail.  (Using JDK 1.6, the one for
> unwrap goes away, but the other 10 still causes it to fail.)
>
> Will's change 11313 includes the comment "fixed javadoc in JDK 1.5".
> Running javadoc ignores the warnings, so it doesn't fail, but
> ant test
> depends on ant checkJavadoc.

I had noticed those warnings under JDK 1.5 but hadn't connected them to
Will's change. I had also noticed that javadoc doesn't work on Windows for
any JDK with the following error:

c:\open\mondrian\build.xml:1212: Javadoc failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot
run program "c:\jdk1.6.0_06\bin\javadoc.exe": CreateProcess err
or=87, The parameter is incorrect

In both cases, it is how ant implements javadoc applied to a file list. It
expands the files out as command line arguments (which breaks Windows' line
length restrictions) and since javadoc no longer has a base directory it can
no longer resolve links to packages.

I'm going to back out Will's change. I can live with javadoc giving errors
on 1.5 as long as it works on 1.6 on all platforms.