[Mondrian] proposal for Order function with key specification list

John V. Sichi jsichi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:22:18 EDT 2008

Regarding the discussion on input/output order stability below, Rushan
was also asking about other functions such as Generate and Exists (not
just Order).  The MS docs are silent for these functions, implying that
MDX query authors should not make any assumptions about the result
order. This also implies that implementations are free to use
optimizations which might destroy order (for example, Zelaine has
prototyped a HashMap-based implementation of Exists).  Everyone's
favorite (NonEmptyCrossJoin) probably wants to stay unstable, but the
more SQL pushdown is used (Filter is a better example), the more this is
likely to come up.

The version of Generate which produces a concatenated string carries a
strong implication that it is order-preserving, but the version which
produces a set union is the more interesting case.

Some options are:

a) status quo (no guarantee unless specified in MS docs or in Mondrian docs)

b) declare a rule that when in doubt, order stability is implied for all
functions where it is meaningful unless explicitly specified otherwise,
e.g. we might declare NECJ as an exception, or that stability guarantees
are canceled when relevant native SQL options are enabled

c) more properties?  ugh

For (b), there is the additional possibility of adding the somewhat
distasteful "Unorder" hint:

(Incidentally, Rushan is out on vacation, so I'm working with Khanh on
thinking through some more examples for the hierarchy-breaking question,
after which he'll respond to your other comments on that topic.)

JVS