[Mondrian] proposal for Order function with key specification list

Rushan Chen rchen at lucidera.com
Tue Sep 2 18:32:04 EDT 2008

Hi Julian,

Yes to do what was proposed in my previous email was really hard with
existing MDX; and that too comes with the poor performance of
multi-passes at sorting.

Using member expression is a good idea and in fact works better with the
parser. However, member ordinal might not be as reliable as member order
key which will be used if CompareSiblingsByOrderKey is set.

I added some examples here, together with the updated syntax:
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/MondrianOrderFunctionExtension

There is also a note on order preservedness (after the MDX examples) of
set functions. Currently there is no guarantee from Mondrian, although
the implementations can be order preserving. MDX does not have a way to
"hint" this property. I would like to know if any other Mondrian
applications depend on this property for set functions(Generate and
Exists to start with).  If that is the case, then perhaps this can be
formalized in documentation.

Thanks,

Rushan

--
Rushan Chen

www.lucidera.com<http://www.lucidera.com/>

Gartner: LucidEra is a business intelligence "Cool Vendor
<http://www.lucidera.com/company/press_releases/cool_Vendor_leading_analyst_firm_9apr.php>

Beagle Research: LucidEra is a CRM WizKid
<http://www.lucidera.com/company/press_releases/lucidera_crm_wizkid_awards_26mar.php>

JMP Securities: LucidEra is in the Hot 100
<http://www.lucidera.com/company/press_releases/jmp_hot_100_best_apr2.php>

This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for
the recipients named above, and contain information that may be
confidential or privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, or you
have reason to believe that you received this message in error, you must
not read, copy, use or disclose this communication. Please also notify
the sender by replying to this message, and then delete all copies of it
from your system. Thank you.