[Mondrian] Re: Eigenbase perforce change 11758 for review

Rushan Chen rchen at lucidera.com
Tue Oct 28 17:46:19 EDT 2008

Hi Julian,

We have in fact discussed the exact same comment as yours regarding
CollationKey. The wiki section below is now expanded with some more details:
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/MondrianOrderFunctionExtension#Syntax_Options

In short, CollationKey is eventually not chosen because
(1) Existing sort orders by several keys implicitly, which can not  be
replicated using CollationKey(or Order_Key as in your suggestion).
(2) Hierarchical comparison can not be supported. Client will use
BASC/BDESC on all ancestor levels to mimic ASC/DESC.

Regarding the MDX design principle of not evaluating member to (the
same) member, I think the violation can be avoided using
LevelExpressions(as in the very first proposal):

OrderSet(<set>, [Dimension].[level], ..., [Measures].[m1])

The changes to implementation should be minimal regardless. Please
comment on these ideas so that we can get it to the final shape quickly.

Rushan