[Mondrian] Re: ParserSym error in 3.0.4.11371

Luc Boudreau lucboudreau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 12:29:32 EDT 2008

Hello again,

Nevermind that. I got the source from the distribution instead of directly
from perforce and now it works.

But now, I confirmed that there were some changes in this release that
affects the Olap4j test suite. The Mondrian Olap4j driver throws
MondrianException where an OlapException is expected by the API. This
happens in Olap4j's ConnectionTest.testValidateError, line 1787. It waits
for an OlapException but gets a MondrianException instead. Since
MondrianException is a subclass of RuntimeException, it gets through all
Olap4jMondrianDriver error handling facilities right back to the end-user.
This is a no-no and an infringement of the current Olap4j API.

The violation exact point is in MondrianOlap4jonnection.validateSelect(),
line 614. The method signature says it throws only OlapExceptions, but as I
said before, the call to parseQuery() at line 614 triggers a subclass of
RuntimeException to be thrown, thus violating the API.

This is reproductible with Mondrian 3.0.4 and Olap4j head or whatever
recision you want as a matter of fact.

Luc