[Mondrian] Why Mondrian rank value is reversed from SSAS2005

Khanh Vu kvu at lucidera.com
Thu May 29 15:32:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

I did some comparisons on the behavior of Rank() between Mondrian and SASS2005 (reported in
http://pub.eigenbase.org/wiki/MondrianRankFunction.)

It seems that Mondrian choose to return reversed rank value from SASS (the first point in the above link). JVS guessed the argument would be "it's more natural to give rank 1 to the highest value" given the trick posted in http://www.sqljunkies.com/WebLog/mosha/archive/2006/03/14/mdx_ranking.aspx. I would appreciate if someone could confirm that or point out any other benefits of this choice.

Thanks,

Khanh