[Mondrian] Mondrian build news

Julian Hyde julian.hyde at sqlstream.com
Sat May 17 14:23:33 EDT 2008

A few important changes in mondrian's build process.

First, we have switched to apache ivy for dependency management. The goal is
to reduce the size of the downloads, and be more flexible in a world where
our dependencies are changing rapidly. Details here:

 <http://p4web.eigenbase.org/@md=d&c=6PU@//11081?ac=10>
http://p4web.eigenbase.org/@md=d&c=6PU@//11081?ac=10

Change 11081 by jhyde at jhyde.marmalade2 on 2008/05/17 09:58:39

MONDRIAN: Change build mechanism to use ivy. Remove jars from
source-control; the build script now gets them from repository on first use.
Also remove jars from source distribution. We are currently using
repo.hydromatic.net as repository; this is a temporary measure, and we'll
soon have a Pentaho repository with higher availability and bandwidth.

Hopefully this will make downloading & building a smoother process. There
may be a few teething troubles; let me know if you have any problems.

Second, I have started saving output from nightly builds. When I send out a
nightly build email for someone's attention, I will be able to include a
link to the output rather than attaching a large file. See here:
http://www.hydromatic.net/buildlogs/.

Third, there is a now a read-only subversion repository with a mirror of the
changes. Use 'svn co svn://source.pentaho.org/svnmondrianroot/' to check out
the code; also see http://source.pentaho.org/svnmondrianroot/,
http://source.pentaho.org/viewvc/svnmondrianroot/.

Perforce will remain the place to commit changes, the subversion repository
will be convenient for people who just want to get the latest code but don't
want to install the perforce client. This repository is contains all updates
up to May 8th. We're still working on a process to move over incremental
changes.

Lastly, there are now statistics for mondrian source code contributions at
ohloh.net. See http://www.ohloh.net/projects/mondrian/analyses/latest.

We couldn't do that before, because ohloh doesn't speak perforce. And by the
way, I don't agree with their 'few source code comments' tag - our java code
has an excellent 25% comment ratio. We have a few large SQL dump files and
lots of XML tests, and it wouldn't make sense for these to contain comments.