[Mondrian] Adding Grouping Set support for Distinct Count measures

Ajit Vasudeo Joglekar ajogleka at thoughtworks.com
Mon Mar 31 01:11:10 EDT 2008

The current logic can certainly be optimized for better performance. Could
you please share the mdxs that were taking especially longer time? We can
start looking into this

Thanks

-Ajit

"John V. Sichi" <jsichi at gmail.com>
Sent by: mondrian-bounces at pentaho.org
03/30/2008 01:42 PM
Please respond to
Mondrian developer mailing list <mondrian at pentaho.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [Mondrian] Adding Grouping Set support for Distinct Count measures

John V. Sichi wrote:
> I was wondering why the cached runs still took 40s, so I probed the
> stack and it was spending most of the time in
> AggregateFunDef.removeOverlappingTupleEntries.  I commented this out,
> and the LucidDB time went down to 15s for the first execution, and 8s
> for the cached execution.

In eigenchange 10766, I changed AggregateFunDef to allow it to skip the
list reduction methods added by Ajit (on a per dialect basis), because
they are really slow.  Currently it's only skipping for LucidDB, since
it doesn't have a limit on IN list size, so the reductions aren't
needed; for dialects where the reductions are required, it would be a
good idea for someone to optimize Ajit's code.

JVS