[Mondrian] RE: Mondrian branch & release process

Will Gorman wgorman at pentaho.com
Mon Jun 23 20:19:38 EDT 2008

> I've already done the necessary steps to integrate files up to 11016.
> Nothing else for you to do - you can just edit files.

Now that you've got the branch to match 11016, I want to integrate
specific changes made after 3.0.3, the first batch of changes are 11017
through 11048.  What command do I execute to merge trunk changes post
11016 into the 3.0 release branch? If integrate isn't the correct
command, is there another command that will do the trick?

> > I also noticed in the latest integration that it moved the
> > files back to
> > the correct revisions (there is no mention of ivy in
> > build.xml), but it
> > didn't delete the new files that were added since 11016.
>
> I could fix that, but it might be tricky. Can we live with those files?

I can do a diff to see what files were added, I may end up merging those
changes in during the patch updates.  I'd like to include as many bug
fixes as possible that were made after 11016, while avoiding the major
API changes so that the 3.0.4 release is API compatible with 3.0.3.

> > I looked at the branch definition of mondrian_dev_to_release_3.0, how
> > does perforce know whether a change has already been integrated or not
> > into a branch?
>
> Perforce maintains integration records: which versions of a source file have
> been integrated into a target file. Those records get created when you
> submit a changelist that contains 'integrate' or 'branch' changes.

Is there a perforce command that shows what versions have been merged
into the branch?

> By the way, integration is bi-directional. When we've fixed bugs on the 3.0
> branch, we can integrate them back to the main line. I would recommend doing
> integrations from the 3.0 branch to main every week or so.

I would think that any new bug fixes would get checked in to trunk
first, and then if necessary merged into the 3.0 release vs. the other
way around.  Does that sound reasonable?

> If people do wholesale formatting changes that makes integration hard and
> error-prone - so developers should refrain from cosmetic changes to both
> branches.

I agree, hopefully we get 3.0.4 out the door quickly and start work on
3.1 in the trunk, I've never enjoyed branches and merging!

Will