[Mondrian] Adding Grouping Set support for Distinct Count measures

John V. Sichi jsichi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:21:45 EST 2008

Julian Hyde wrote:
> Oops. I just realised we were talking about example #2, which is for
> regular, non-distinct measures. If the MDX set/list contains duplicate
> members, then the results are added. So I'm instructing delegates to say
> 'aye' for Matt & Ajit.

I won't argue with MSAS, so double-counting for dups it is.  I'm
surprised they don't allow you to put on half a state so you can do
2.5*OR + CA :)

As Ajit points out, this means we have to be careful with pushing down
constraints for non-distinct aggs to SQL.  Rushan and I have been
thinking about how to build on the distinct-count optimization she put
in, with the next step being optimization and caching for non-visual
totals via calculated members.

JVS