[Mondrian] RollupPolicy working properly?

Nick Goodman ngoodman at bayontechnologies.com
Fri Apr 25 16:30:26 EDT 2008

I made some the following change to Foodmart.xml to test rollupPolicy

<Role name="California manager">
   <SchemaGrant access="none">
     <CubeGrant cube="Sales" access="all">
       <HierarchyGrant hierarchy="[Store]" rollupPolicy="full"
access="custom">
         <MemberGrant member="[Store].[USA].[CA]" access="all"/>
       </HierarchyGrant>
.... etc

Basically, just changed so that California manager has a rollupPolicy
on [Store] (eliminated level too since that was causing JPivot
problems).

When I set the policy to "full" I get the behavior described in the
documentation as "partial"
select {[Measures].[Unit Sales]} ON COLUMNS,
   Hierarchize(Union(Union(Union({[Store].[All Stores]}, [Store].[All
Stores].Children), [Store].[All Stores].[USA].Children), [Store].[All
Stores].[USA].[CA].Children)) ON ROWS
from [Sales]
where [Time].[1997]

yields

All Stores 74,748
  USA 74,748
   CA 74,748
    Alameda
    Beverly Hills 21,333
    Los Angeles 25,663
    San Diego 25,635
    San Francisco 2,117

The All Stores total is the total for only the members this role is
allowed to see.  This is also the default behavior:
<HierarchyGrant hierarchy="[Store]" access="custom"> is the same as
"full".

Setting it to "partial" yields no different results.  Still, All
Stores/USA are showing only the totals for the members which this
user can see.
<HierarchyGrant hierarchy="[Store]" rollupPolicy="partial"
access="custom">

Hidden doesn't do the trick either
<HierarchyGrant hierarchy="[Store]" rollupPolicy="hidden"
access="custom">

Looks like a bug to me ( mondrian-3.0.2.10775-derby .war file is what
I am using ) unless I'm daft?  Please no honest responses to that
statement!  :)

Nick