[Mondrian] XMLA requests don't return invisible members

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Wed Apr 16 00:15:05 EDT 2008

Mondrian's XMLA server does not return members that are flagged as
invisible. This seems a little strange to me, since the XMLA provides an
attribute IS_MEMBER_VISIBLE and we could simply return the member with
IS_MEMBER_VISIBLE=false.

Here are the two changes that implemented this behavior:

*	7052 emberson "XMLA was not paying attention to the measure visible
flag/property" http://perforce.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d
<http://perforce.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d&cd=//&c=rD2@/7052?ac=10>
&cd=//&c=rD2@/7052?ac=10

*	8424 jhyde "XMLA requests emit regular and calculated members, but
only if visible. (Contributed by Bart Pappyn.)"
http://perforce.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d
<http://perforce.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d&cd=//&c=rD2@/8424?ac=10>
&cd=//&c=rD2@/8424?ac=10

Can the contributors please comment why they needed this behavior, and why
it was not acceptable to simply emit invisible members with
IS_MEMBER_VISIBLE=false?

This behavior makes it difficult for the XMLA olap4j driver to be compatible
with the mondrian olap4j driver. So, I'd like to reverse this behavior, and
have MDSCHEMA_MEMBERS return all members, visible and invisible. Let me know
if this would cause problems.