FW: [Mondrian] deadlock in MemberCacheHelper

Will Gorman wgorman at pentaho.com
Fri Apr 4 01:15:29 EDT 2008

Hi Julian,

I've investigated this a bit.  The issue is related to the two caches
RolapCubeHierarchy.RolapCubeHierarchyMemberReader manages.  The
inherited cacheHelper (A) from SmartMemberReader is used to store cube
specific RolapMembers, and the rolapCubeCacheHelper (B) which stores
cube specific RolapCubeMember wrappers.  In the first stack trace,
SqlTupleReader.readTuple locks cache B, and then locks cache A.  In the
second stack trace, RolapSchemaReader locks cache A, and then locks
cache B.

Now that I know what is going on, I'll need to write a unit test that
simulates this deadlock... it shouldn't be too difficult.  In the mean
time, setting the enableCache option to false that you added should
remove the deadlock.

Will