[Mondrian] Mondrian test coverage

Julian Hyde julianhyde at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 5 14:45:52 EDT 2007

Hi all,

We just ran some test coverage reports on mondrian, and I thought you'd be
interested. The reports are at http://mondrian.pentaho.org/coverage/.

In summary, 56% of lines of code (27,539 out of 49,125) and 46% of code
paths are tested. Leave out the UI code, and the number increases to 67%.

First reactions to these numbers:

*	Considering that this is the first time we've analyzed coverage, 67%
code coverage is really good. I put that down to the huge number of
regression tests we've built up over the years (and the discipline to add a
test each time we add a feature).
*	These numbers only relate to mondrian running with its default
parameters. If we were to run with some other settings (e.g. with aggregate
tables disabled, and native SQL optimizations disabled) the coverage would
probably go up 5-10%
*	No surprise that mondrian.gui and mondrian.web.servlet are not
covered.
*	Coverage in mondrian.rolap.aggmatcher, mondrian.tui and
mondrian.xmla is low. I'd like to improve these.
*	I'd also like to look at which individual lines of code are not
covered and make sure that key functions are tested. (This run of the
coverage tool does not contain annotated source code, unfortunately.)

Julian

PS The coverage website might not stay at that location - we're still doing
some work behind the scenes to figure out how to do coverage testing for the
whole pentaho suite, so things may change. Watch this space.