[Mondrian] Re: change 9710: aggregating count-distinct over compound cells

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.org
Sun Nov 25 18:55:24 EST 2007

> Rushan Chen wrote:
>
> I have drafted a design doc based on the "CellContext" idea
> to improve
> the performance of aggregate loading for cells with
> "compound" constraints.

http://www.eigenbase.org/wiki/index.php/MondrianDistinctCountAggregateImprov
ement

> This proposal requires pretty far-reaching code change so I did some
> prototyping to make sure this idea would work. So far, despite the
> sizable changes required, the basic functionalities(batch loading,
> caching) are working with some careful extraction of code and
> streamlining of interfaces. This hopefully will make aggregate
> error prone.
>
> Since I have done just some prototyping, there could be design flaws
> lurking still. I would really appreciate your input and/or
> your comments
> on how to better test this improvement.

Rushan,

Thanks for the heads up and the detailed design document. I've read it
through once, and can't find fault with it. It looks like it will work, and
it's more elegant than what I have now.

I will read it in more detail on my plane journey from London.