[Mondrian] ValidMeasure() combined with Aggregate()

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.org
Wed Nov 14 13:47:51 EST 2007

Makes sense.

My instinct is that this behavior should be fairly straightforward to add -
I think that this was the default behavior, by accident, when I first
implemented virtual cubes.

I don't understand why it is necessary to eliminate duplicate 'all' members.
Can you explain in more detail why this is necessary?

As to where to put this property. A measure group in SSAS2005 is basically
the same as a usage of a cube in a virtual cube in mondrian. We don't have
an explicit element describing a usage of a cube by a virtual cube; note
that 'cubeName="Sales"' occurs several times in the following:

<VirtualCube name="Warehouse and Sales" defaultMeasure="Store Sales">
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Customers"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Education Level"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Gender"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Marital Status"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension name="Product"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Promotion Media"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Promotions"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension name="Store"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension name="Time"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Sales" name="Yearly Income"/>
  <VirtualCubeDimension cubeName="Warehouse" name="Warehouse"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Sales Count]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Store Cost]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Store Sales]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Unit Sales]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Profit]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Sales" name="[Measures].[Profit Growth]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Store
Invoice]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Supply Time]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Units
Ordered]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Units
Shipped]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Warehouse
Cost]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Warehouse
Profit]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Warehouse
Sales]"/>
  <VirtualCubeMeasure cubeName="Warehouse" name="[Measures].[Average
Warehouse Sale]"/>
  <CalculatedMember name="Profit Per Unit Shipped" dimension="Measures">
    <Formula>[Measures].[Profit] / [Measures].[Units Shipped]</Formula>
  </CalculatedMember>
</VirtualCube>

Would it make more sense to add it as a property of VirtualCubeMeasure, or
to add a new element VirtualCubeCubeUsage? Or the simplest thing would be to
add it to the VirtualCube itself.

Julian

  _____