[Mondrian] RE: Eigenbase perforce change 9201 for review

Thiyagu Palanisamy tpalanis at thoughtworks.com
Thu May 3 06:06:53 EDT 2007

Julian,

 We are working on implementing Parallel Sql query execution, for that we
need to use java.util.concurrent package. RetroWeaver has some issues in
porting those classes.

 There are two options to handle this,
1. Don't use java.util.concurrent package and look for other alternatives
such as using the backport util, which means performance degradation and
not using the latest Java api's for new development.
2. Finding alternative to port those classes.

So we have gone with the 2nd option. We have run all the tests using the
retrotranslator. We intend to make everyone to switch to retrotranslator,
but we didn't want to force immediately without running every ones test
suite.

We have not measured any performance benefits between them because we
don't have any benchmark test scripts.

UtilCompatible interfaces: This will introduce additional work of
generifying all the not supported functions and maintaining two
implementation bridges(We might end up with JDK1.5 using
java.util.concurrent and 1.4 using backport util).
If  retrotransalator causes any issue for the existing users then we can
consider this option?

Thanks,
Thiyagu

"Julian Hyde" <julianhyde at speakeasy.net>
Sent by: mondrian-bounces at pentaho.org
05/03/2007 02:24 PM
Please respond to
Mondrian developer mailing list <mondrian at pentaho.org>

"'Thiyagu Palanisamy'" <thiyagu at gmail.com>
cc
mondrian at pentaho.org
Subject
[Mondrian] RE: Eigenbase perforce change 9201 for review

Thiyagu,

Can you elaborate why you need this change? I am loathe to support a new
means of generating jdk14-compatible jar files.

If you intend to use features which retroweaver cannot handle, then
everyone is going to need to switch to retrotranslator, yes?

How great is the performance benefit of using these features versus the
features which retroweaver can handle?

An alternative approach would be to put the incompatible code behind the
UtilCompatible interface. (I did this for EnumSet because retroweaver
does not handle this correctly.) JDK1.4 users would not get the benefit
of these features, but hey, we need to give them some incentive to
upgrade!

Julian