[Mondrian] Multithreading etc

Julian Hyde julianhyde at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 16 13:03:50 EDT 2007

If changes to mondrian are breaking your application, I sympathize. How
can we prevent that from happening? Unless we restrict ourselves to
trivial enhancements, the we obviously need to test the new
functionality against existing apps, or at least tests which exercise
existing apps' requirements.

Ideally, these tests would be in the standard regression suite. But
since some tests are too complicated to be in the standard suite, to
testing which cannot be done nightly at least has to be done once per
release.

We already have a process in place for much of this. For example:

*

	Developers ensure that code changes don't break the regression
suite.
*

	I run the regression suite nightly, in a wide set of
configurations, and let the developers know next day if things break.
*

	All code changes - bug fixes, enhancements and ad hoc feature -
must be accompanied by a regression test which exercises the change.
(That means it should fail if the change is not present.)

The extra things we need to do:

*

	If you are using mondrian in your apps, contribute test suites
which exercise your app's functionality. LucidEra have already done
thist (ClearTestSuite) and Thomson-Medstat are working on it. Sure it's
a lot of work, but it's less work than taking a new release where things
have stopped working. It's an insurance policy.
*

	Would it help if we invented the notion of 'QA partner'
companies? We could run through the test suite of each QA partner before
each release, as a pre-condition for making that release.
*

	Write better tests for new features. Complex features require
complex tests.
*

	Set up continuous integration (E.g. CruiseControl) to ensure
that the code always builds and compiles. Thiyagu is already working on
this.

Bart, On point #3: The feature you are interested in, for working on top
of dynamic databases, is VERY complex to test. We have spent a lot of
time discussing how to implement this feature, but very little time
designing a testing infrastructure. It should be little surprise that
the feature is fragile at this point.

Julian

  _____