[Mondrian] Mondrian performance

Pranav.Matekar at zycus.com Pranav.Matekar at zycus.com
Tue Mar 6 11:27:25 EST 2007

hi Julian

can u tell us,
 when can we get new version of mondrian with iterator-based evaluation
mechanism?
i want to test this types of queries on that version

can u suggest,
which types of analytical server (MOLAP,ROLAP,HOLAP) or which currently
available analytical server can provide me faster result for such( top in
top ) type of queries ?

Pranav

"Julian Hyde" <julianhyde at speakeasy.net>
Sent by: mondrian-bounces at pentaho.org
03/04/2007 02:11 AM
Please respond to
Mondrian developer mailing list <mondrian at pentaho.org>

cc

Subject
RE: [Mondrian] Mondrian performance

The query you are executing is a classic BAD query for mondrian. It
requires a lot of intermediate results -- the cartesian product of the
dimensions you are generating over -- in memory, so it will take a lot of
time and a lot of memory.

The iterator-based evaluation mechanism which Richard Emberson recently
introduced may help with some queries of this style, but that mechanism is
not fully mature yet.

Those kind of queries are well outside mondrian's sweet spot. I recommend
that you don't use mondrian for them.

Julian