[Mondrian] Re: Optimizing Sync Blocks in Aggregation class

Julian Hyde julianhyde at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 11 03:45:33 EDT 2007

Thiyagu,

Both approaches seem to be an improvement. Approach 2 seems to be
better, especially if the only mutable state in Aggregation is the list
of Segments.

Re. our previous discussions on JDK 1.4 vs. 1.5. I understand that
CopyOnWriteArrayList is only available under 1.5. Can we use a factory
method to control the creation of this list, so that it can be made
available in JDK 1.4 using retroweaver?

I don't really understand the profiler results. They seem to be improved
in general, but there is a large number of blocks for HashMap in
approach 1. What caused that?

What is the high-level locking strategy? In particular, if multiple
objects need to be locked (say Aggregation and Segment), is there a
well-defined locking order.

When you implement this, please document the locking strategy in the
code. Maybe describe which fields are mutable and when, which classes to
lock and in what order. Less is more - people are more likely to read,
obey and maintain documentation which is terse and to the point.

I want to rationalize thread-locals out of the design and into real
objects with a stated purpose and strategy. If you can start to do that
with the design, I would appreciate it.

Lastly, please rename ConcurrentMDXTest to ConcurrentMdxTest; our coding
standards call for acronyms to be InitCapped not CAPITALIZED.

Julian

PS Sorry I didn't reply earlier. This reply somehow ended up in my
Drafts folder and I forgot to send it.

  _____