[Mondrian] Re: VirtualCubeTest.testCalculatedMemberAcrossCubesfailing on SMP

michael bienstein mbienstein at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 23 07:51:50 EST 2007

Just two thoughts on this:
1) Currently I think that a HashMap is used for the global cache.  HashMap is not safely synchronized.  There is a synchronize block that is too large probably - the whole aggregations data.
2) Two-tier using threadlocal sounds good.  Can we do this idea:
interface QueryContext {
    Connection getConnection(DataSource ds);
    some sort of common filter for aggregation cache and hierarchy caches
    void dispose();
}

class QueryContextImpl {
    private HashMap<DataSource, Connection> openConnections = new HashMap<DataSource,Connection>();
    public Connection getConnection(DataSource ds) {
        Connection c = openConnections.get(ds);
        if (c != null) {
            return c;
        }
        try {
            c = ds.getConnection();
            openConnections.put(ds, c);
            return c;
        } catch (SQLException ex) {
            throw new MondrianExceptionOrSomething(ex);
        }
    }
    //TODO some filtering to the global aggregation and hierarchy caches
    public void dispose() {
        for (Connection c : openConnections.valueSet()) {
            try {
                c.close();
            } catch (SQLException ex) {
                log it ...
            }
        }
    }
}

RolapResult.java:
{
    private static ThreadLocal<QueryContext> qContext = new ThreadLocal<QueryContext>();
    public static QueryContext getQueryContext() {
        return qContext.get();
    }
    public RolapResult(...) {
        if (!execute) {
            return;
        }
            //Going to execute
        QueryContext qc = createQueryContext();
        qContext.set(qc);
        try {
            //Do execute stuff here
        } finally {
            qContext.clear();
            qc.dispose();
        }
    }
    //Use a property to override the class used?  That way we can configure each Connection specifically?
    public QueryContext createQueryContext() {
        return new QueryContextImpl();
    }
}
//All places in the code base that use DataSource to obtain a Connection in the context of a query should use:
Connection c = RolapResult.getQueryContext().getConnection(ds);

That way we only open one connection per query and we use the database's transaction system.

I found this hard to do because of the RolapConnection/RolapCube constructors calling each other somehow (can't remember the details).

Michael