[Mondrian] JDK version and junit test times

Richard Emberson remberson at edgedynamics.com
Wed Jan 17 11:26:37 EST 2007

With checkin 8534, both the jdk1.5 and jdk1.4 junit tests pass.
Since there were problems with jdk1.4 and Iterable, I changed
the code so that when using jdk1.4, none of the functions
would return IterCalc's during the compilation phase - jdk1.4
does not use ITERABLE but rather the previous existing
LIST and MUTABLE_LIST calcs and, thus, jdk1.4 does not use
the light-memory-weight Iterable evaluation result but
just Lists.

When running:

 > ant test-nobuild

I have noted that using jdk1.5 it runs 13% faster than
when using jdk1.4. I have repeated the measurements 4 times
with the same results (+- 0.2%).
I've got a dual 64bit system with 64 Linux and use the standard
Sun java releases: j2sdk1.4.2_13 (32 bit) and jdk1.5.0_10
(64 bit).
I would be interested if anyone else sees a difference between
how fast the Mondrian junits execute with jdk1.4 vs jdk1.5.

Thanks.

Richard
--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes:
may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,