[Mondrian] Problems with functions throwing exceptions like CastFunDef

Pappyn Bart Bart.Pappyn at vandewiele.com
Thu Jan 4 02:20:18 EST 2007

Hi,

Since the introduction of CAST( expression AS ...), I use this function
very regularly to solve
problems with complex calculated members.

Now I am doing multi-user tests on mondrian and I notice problems.  When
a lot of queries
are executed by mondrian at the same time, CastFunDef is regularly
throwing exceptions (a
single user test always succeeds).

The problems is related to the fact the RolapResult.executeBody() is
evaluating cells
until all data is get from the database.  So it is possible that a
certain calculated member,
that depends on data that is not retrieved from the database yet, fails.

Most functions do not throw exceptions, so the principle works fine.

But CAST(expression as NUMERIC) throws an exception when the expression
it needs to
convert is null.

I think this is wrong and breaking the concept.

While I am not entirely sure, I think the multi-user test stressed my
system to much and
somehow made that executeBody needed more iterations than usually
needed.

Could you take a quick look, because I am not sure if I am taking the
right conclusions?

Thanks,
Bart