[Mondrian] Multi-threading SQL execution

michael bienstein mbienstein at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 8 18:25:23 EST 2007

Yes, there has been thought about it.  I'm sure Julian can fill you in.

The main issues I see are:
1) Either you let the database do the parallelism, in which case you need to issue effectively multiple GROUP BYs in one SELECT (which is possible on some databases such as ORACLE and even MySQL with its ROLLUP option) and then disentangle the results,
but this is not a standard in SQL.
2) Or you are really running two parallel queries in two separate connections (almost no JDBC driver will allow parallel queries.  The JTS/JTA maps transaction context to thread and JDBC drivers must obey this).
3) Or you have separate databases and have obviously different Connection objects open.

In the options (2) and (3) you need to revisit the way JDBC connections are handled by Mondrian.  In option (1) you need to maintain different SQL generation strategies.  All nice ideas but a lot of work.  Yes I've thought about it.  But who can do it?  Frustrating.

Michael