[Mondrian] question on "circular" MDX

Julian Hyde julianhyde at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 4 14:51:09 EST 2007

I agree it's a bug, because the behaviors are inconsistent, and because if
we're going to issue an error it should be at validate time.

I can't figure out just yet what the correct behavior should be. One of the
factors is that NonEmptyCrossJoin is being called in the slicer, which seems
dubious; the other, as you point out, is that a set is being invoked in the
slicer whose value depends (via NonEmptyCrossJoin) on the output of the
slicer.

I need to do some more research into the behavior of the weird and wonderful
NonEmptyCrossJoin function.

I note that MSAS 2000 does not give an error; it returns

           Unit Sales
Drink          961.00

(To make the query work in MSAS 2000, you also have to enclose each formula
in single-quotes.)

Can you log it please?