[Mondrian] Re: Role based security and calculated members

Matt Campbell mkambol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:52:23 EDT 2007

Sorry-- I sent that last email accidentally before completing it.

We have a need to hide dimensions which are used only in the definitions of
calculated measures.  That is, end users want to be able to use certain
measures on reports, but not the dimensions that are used to define those
measures.  To do this we were thinking about using role based security and
set <HierarchyGrant access='none' ... >.

Currently in Mondrian you can use a calculated member which is defined with
a dimension member, even if your role doesn't have access to that
dimension.  That's actually good for us if we use this approach, but seems
like it could be considered a bug.  I don't want use this approach if the
behavior is changed to prevent access in this case.

BTW-- it doesn't appear you can use a restricted dim in a calc mem in
Analysis Services 2K.