[Mondrian] Discarding exceptions

Thiyagu Palanisamy tpalanis at thoughtworks.com
Thu Aug 2 11:25:41 EDT 2007

Thanks Julian,

 I'm surprised that we missing this before check-in, this has no reason to
be there. I have verified that this is the only instance.
 Not able to connect to perforce today, seems to be some connectivity
issue. I will fix and check-in tomorrow.

Is there any check-in freeze due to the release?

- Thiyagu

"Julian Hyde" <julianhyde at speakeasy.net>
Sent by: mondrian-bounces at pentaho.org
01/08/2007 11:30
Please respond to
Mondrian developer mailing list <mondrian at pentaho.org>

"'Thiyagu P'" <thiyagu at gmail.com>
cc
mondrian at pentaho.org
Subject
[Mondrian] Discarding exceptions

Thiyagu,

I just bumped into a catch block you wrote in SegmentLoader.load:

        } catch (SQLException e) {
            throw stmt.handle(e);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
It was throwing away a genuine exception (albeit after it had printed the
stack trace to a logfile). We were generating an invalid statement for
Oracle, but by the time it reached that catch block it had been wrapped in
a RuntimeException, so it hit the 'Exception' block rather than the
'SQLException' block.

Any particular reason you chose to throw away the exception? Our error
handling policy is to re-throw everything that can possibly indicate an
error, so that the top-level statement will fail.

Can you do a review and make sure you haven't put similar error-handling
code elsewhere?