[Mondrian] difficulty installing demo

Roland Bouman roland.bouman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 20:00:40 EDT 2014

Hi, I just went through this process. Here's what I did to make it work for
me:

Ok - bit sketchy but I'll try and be complete:

1) get
http://mirror.nl.webzilla.com/apache/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.56/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.56.tar.gz
2) unpack tomcat to your favorite location (TOMCATHOME)
3) edit TOMCATHOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml. Inside the <tomcat-users> tag
paste:

  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="admin" password="admin"
roles="admin,manager,manager-gui"/>

(this is probably not required but makes it easier to see if mondrian is
correctly deployed)

4) unpack mondrian.
5) cd into mondrian-3.7.0.0-752
6) make the .sh files executable:

chmod +x *.sh

7) make the war:

ant war

You should now have a lib/mondrian.war

8) copy that mondrian.war to TOMCATHOME/webapps/
9) At this stage, start tomcat (TOMCATHOME/bin/startup.sh) and visit
http://localhost:8080/manager/html (use admin/admin as credentials when
prompted)

You should see mondrian in the list of webapps and it should be started,
and tomcat should have expanded the war to a mondrian dir inside the
webapps dir (MONDRIANHOME).
You can even visit http://localhost:8080/mondrian/xmlaTest.jsp and see a
basic XML/A tester.

Unfortunately, nothing really works at this point and things get a bit
hairy after this

9a) stop tomcat: TOMCATHOME/bin/shutdown.sh

10) move log4j-1.2.8.jar out of MONDRIANHOME/WEBINF/lib
11) put these jars into MONDRIANHOME/WEBINF/lib:

commons-io-2.4.jar
jcl-over-slf4j-1.5.2.jar
log4j-1.2.12.jar
slf4j-api-1.5.2.jar
slf4j-log4j12-1.5.2.jar

(find them at all at http://mvnrepository.com/)

12) put your jdbc driver jar into either TOMCATHOME/lib or
MONDRIANHOME/WEBINF/lib

(I used with mysql: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/5.1.html)

13) edit MONDRIANHOME/WEBINF/datasources.xml. Change the following tags:

<DataSourceName>FoodMart</DataSourceName> (the xmla tester uses simply
FoodMart, not this unwieldly long string that is in there by default)

<URL>http://localhost:8080/mondrian/xmla</URL> (for some reason, the
default uses a funny port)

<DataSourceInfo>Provider=mondrian;Jdbc=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/foodmart;JdbcUser=foodmart;JdbcPassword=foodmart;JdbcDrivers=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</DataSourceInfo>

(adjust this to fit your jdbc driver, jdbc url, and database credentials)

Modify the <Definition> inside <Catalogs> / <Catalog name="FoodMart"> to

<Definition>file:///home/roland/apache-tomcat-7.0.56/webapps/mondrian/WEB-INF/queries/FoodMart.xml</Definition>

(obviously, modify the absolute path to fit your location of the
Foodmart.xml file)

13a) Edit MONDRIANHOME/WEBINF/web.xml and modify lines 86..101 to read:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>MondrianXmlaServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>mondrian.xmla.impl.DynamicDatasourceXmlaServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>DataSourcesConfig</param-name>

<param-value>file:///home/roland/apache-tomcat-7.0.56/webapps/mondrian/WEB-INF/datasources.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <!--
      This is an example of how to add a callback to the XML/A servlet.
      It must implement mondrian.xmla.XmlaRequestCallback.
    <init-param>
      <param-name>Callbacks</param-name>

<param-value>com.example.MyCallbackClass;com.example.SomeOtherCallback</param-value>
    </init-param>
    -->
  </servlet>

(Only the contents of the <param-value> tag wer changed, adjust to fit your
path)

14) Start tomcat. Goto http://localhost:8080/mondrian/xmlaTest.jsp. The
tests here should now work.

This assumes you got the database started and that you loaded the foodmart
data.
The values above assumes a database "foodmart" exists, the user "foodmart"
has password "foodmart" and has access to that schema.

For MySQL you can get a script here:
http://pentaho.dlpage.phi-integration.com/mondrian/mysql-foodmart-database;
this should be run in the context of the foodmart database to populate the
schema.

I hope this helps.

--
Roland Bouman
blog: http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/

Author of "Pentaho Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6
http://tinyurl.com/lvxa88) and "Pentaho Kettle Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN:
978-0-470-63517-9 http://tinyurl.com/33r7a8m)